Saturday, October 29, 2011

Who has your back?

Okay, so today marks our first snow storm here in New England!  And, no, we aren't talking about a few flurries.  Actually, we are talking more along the lines of 6-10 inches.  I must admit, I'm excited.  I love the newness of each season.  Remember the first day in the late spring when we can wear sundresses or tank tops and the kids can drag out shorts?  It's a night that will most definitely end with ice cream and playing outside for too long.  I feel the same way about the first snow.  Granted, it would have been nice to get through Halloween first, but hey. This is me trying to live in the moment.  So, at this moment I am warm and safe and it's pretty outside!  I'm working hard on staying in the moment lately. It isn't that I'm really evolved or anything.  I wish I was.  Truth is, I just get overwhelmed by every little detail of my life.  So, I literally focus on the task at hand.  Right now I'm focusing on my thoughts and the sound of my fingers on the keyboard.   Who feels completely and totally overwhelmed, overextended, exhausted and incompetent???  Yeah.  Take a number, sista.  We have to come together and have each others' backs.  But, that cannot happen if we aren't willing to foremost have our own backs.  This is one of those big life lessons that I was sent to earth to learn because this comes up in my life constantly and has for many, many years.  So, here is what I did to respect myself and get my back today.  I said no.  I chose to work all day on my sons' Halloween costume because I wanted to and he still thinks it's cool if I do a good job.  Today was the only day I had to do it.  Therefore, I am exhausted, sore in pain and in no shape to attend the annual family Halloween party.  I excused myself and here's the kicker.  No guilt!!!!  I can honestly say with the purest of hearts that I do not have an eensy bit of guilt.  I knew if I went, I would be overdoing it (pretty sure I already have anyway) and would be only going for the benefit of others adults' needs and expectations.  So, my fantastic husband brought the boys over and I am here blogging, soon to be snoozing.  So, how many spoons (please see the spoon theory on butyoudontlooksick.com)  do I get for that?  Let's see...........setting boundaries to take care of myself AND embracing change (i.e.snow).  Oh, I think I deserve at least 5 for that.  I'm going to need them.  I will try to store as many up for the upcoming months as possible.  

Before I sign off, I am leaving a link to a great video and song regarding Fibro awareness.  I hope you can learn from it and be able to love yourself a little more after seeing it. 

Gentle hugs to all.

http://youtu.be/jD81VKBkxHc

No comments:

Post a Comment