Monday, April 18, 2011

Putting on my Oxygen Mask

Okay, so again I had to cancel plans with a friend today.  Although I have had a lot of practice in this area over the years, it is still one of the worst parts of being sick.  It is embarrasing, for one.  You make a plan and then suddenly you can't follow through.  My friend, fortunately, was understanding or perhaps just expected it as this is about the 4th time I've had to reschedule.  We did get one time in together somewhere in that mix.  So, we will get together tomorrow.  I hope. 

When I woke up this morning, I could hardly move.  It was a real chore to get my body out of bed.  Everything hurt so much and for much of the morning I was unable to even stand up straight.  My back, neck, shoulders and hips were not happy.  Consequently, neither was I.  I had a terrible time getting to sleep last night.  I still feel as though I didn't sleep very well, despite taking my sleep med. 

Anyway, I had a very important appointment this morning with my naturopath whom I get to see only about twice a year due to finances.  However, she is so great that I dragged my sorry butt into the shower.  Thankfully, the shower gods were smiling upon me today as I got nice hot water.  This helped.  However, the washing of my hair almost did me in.  I think I still have some conditioner stuck in my hair, too.  Washing hair is a feat in and of itself with Fibromyalgia.  Then it was time to get dressed.  At this point, I am ready to lie down on my bed and go back to sleep. 

Must. Carry. On.  Getting dressed hurt a lot and took me a lot longer than usual so now I am "running" late.  I do a lot of running.  Just in the form of being late.  However, in the final outcome I was on time and had a great appointment and got so much information that my eyes were glazing over.  My doctor saw this and she wrote everything down for me and we went over it again so I am pretty sure I know what to do.

I get home and realize two things; I must eat and I must sleep.  Hence, cancelling with my friend. 

So many people have been telling me for years that I need to take care of myself so I can be the mom, wife, friend I want to be.  Not an easy task for a girl who has generally put everyone else first in her life. 

But, I am learning.  My oxygen mask is going on now.  It's only Monday.  If I don't do it now, this will be one terrible week.   So here goes.  Breathe in and out.  I'm on my way.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog Mo - you are a fighter and a real light in everyone's life that you have touched. Sending you gentle hugs through the atmosphere! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya Fibro friend...bad night and day my self. hang in there :) sending soft hug if I can get my imaginary arms up to do it ..lol at least we still have our humor sometimes :) <3 Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, thank you for your kind and encouraging words. Thanks for the hugs.......I felt them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, I know you can relate. I'm so sorry you had a bad night and day, too. Remember to wear your oxygen mask, too, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete