Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunny Days and Sundays Always Get Me Down

I missed church today.  AgainIt's not that I feel guilty.  In fact, I do not.  I feel sad.  I miss being in church and being in that community.  Today is Palm Sunday which I really did not want to miss.  Last night I was supposed to go to see a show with a friend and had to cancel last minute.  My neck was in a painful spasm and my head was pounding.  I felt very fatigued.  So, once again, I cancelled.  I half jokingly called after my friend as she was leaving, "don't give up on me!!".  Fortunately, I know she won't.  She's not that kind of friend.  So, I figure I'm sad to miss going out and seeing a funny show.  Okay, let me be honest.  I was excited to take a shower and wear make up!   That right there, is an exhausting but exciting feat!  I consoled myself last night by telling myself I did the right thing.  I can't push myself.  As I lay in bed with heat on my back and neck trying to go to sleep, I felt sure I'd be able to go to mass today.  Even if that was the one and only thing I did today, I could do it.  Yeah, that didn't happen.  I woke with a horrible headache and my body felt like an 18 wheeler hit it.  I was actually kind of angry.  I'm thinking, "hey, you......yeah you, body.  I'm talkin' to you!  What is your deal?  I give and give and what do you give in return?!  Yeah, I'm not too fond of you, either".   I made a concerted effort to come downstairs, especially since my little smiley faced son kept peeking into our bedroom and asking me to come downstairs.   I drank large amounts of water and also my usual 2 cups of coffee.  That along with a migraine med seemed to do the trick.  My husband and I actually got to sit at the table and talk.  We caught up on all kinds of things and that was nice.  Like most busy families, we don't have a lot of time for conversation, so it felt good to both of us.  However, soon it was apparant that I could no longer stay up.  My whole body ached like, well like it usually does, as though I had the flu.  My husband came up later to see if I needed anything and I just broke into tears saying, "I'm so sad.  I'm just so sad".  What can I do, he wanted to know.  Can you just hold me, gently, please?  He did.  He then suggested that since it had turned out to be such a beautiful sunny day, that we could go on a family walk.  Though that would be a dream to me, the thought made me feel more empty.  I reminded him that I am working on being able to walk around the block.  To which he responded that we could all walk a bit around the block, go for a drive or out for supper.  I smiled weakly.  I love the sunshine and since Spring has hit us, I have been on my steps in the morning drinking up the rays of the sun as I enjoy my coffee.  However, today the sun seemed to be taunting me.  It seemed cruel.  I felt like I was being teased.  Then I started to feel more sad.  The boys went to the park with their dad and I made a decision.  I need to cheer up.  What can cheer me up?  A large amount of chocolate would be lovely, thank you.  Sadly, because I think of this as a comfort so much, we do not have chocolate in the house.  Okay, what else?  Dance.  As a trained dancer it is very hard to live without that in my life right now.  Right then.  Not today.  Pray.  But, that means I have to pray and THEN cheer myself up.  I don't want to pray.  I'm not in the mood.  Well, guess what?  I realized that if I chose to pray I could stay in bed!  So, I just did my usual conversational prayer, nothing fancy and then just lay upon my bed.  I felt the urge to do some very deep breathing  and followed suit.  Then I decided to say my rosary.  I didn't really have my whole heart in it, so I figured it wouldn't work but I gave it a shot.  A bit later, I felt like I needed to get up.  I went downstairs and did some gentle yoga poses that felt really good.  My neck was still killing and my body ached.  But, my heart felt better.  I was aware of the sadness that missing church and going outside with my family brings to me, but it did not own me.  I suddenly realized that, although I love my community at church, I don't need to be at church to find some serenity.  My ADD personality fights it, but I can quiet myself right here in my own home. After yoga, I listened to some of my favorite songs and sang along as loud as can be.  Yup, my windows were open.  Yeah, I'm sure people heard me.  But, you know what?  I didn't care.  I sang and sang my heart out.  I can do a mean rendition of  Gooch's song from Mame.  Yeah, baby.  That's how I roll.  Now, the sun is setting and I'm much more at peace with it.  Looking back on today, can you imagine if it snowed?  Now, that would need some serious chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment