Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Enemy

It's been so long since I've blogged.  I've been doing a lot of writing on my forthcoming (hopefully!) book.  However, I have come across this piece of writing from a few years ago.  Although it is two years old, I believe it captures the essence of what life is like for a parent with chronic illness.  Maybe it will resonate with you.  Here it is:

                                                                      
The Enemy

The enemy sneaks up on me even when I am awake and trying to look around.  It is an evil force that encompasses my body.  The enemy is brilliant if not menacing.  When I blink, it is there squeezing its way into my innermost parts of my body.  My muscles, fascia, and soon my brain.  Exhaustion sets in.  I fight the enemy.  I begin to feel beaten down.  I fight the enemy more.  I pray.  I look at my children.  The enemy knows.  It sees all and laughs at me.  I tell the enemy to go to hell.  Instead it burrows deeper inside me.  Pain heightens.  I drive and pick up my son.  I play with my 2 year old.  The enemy is always present.  I ignore it.  I act as though it is not there.  I keep pushing.  Sleeping isn't enough.  Doctors' appointments.  Hope starts to fade.  Will you play with me?  My heart is rapidly breaking down.  The enemy shines.  It is winning.  I say LEAVE ME ALONE!!!  It never does.  Vitamins, medications, therapy.   Pain becomes practically unbearable.  Loneliness seeps in.  The enemy is winning.  It smiles wickedly.  I pray but lack energy.  Jesus help me, I plea.  But the enemy has broken down my hope and faith.  I cannot find God.  I am lost.  I am so tired.  Pain is everywhere.  My family begins to fall apart.  I know it is I that is the cause.  I am frozen.  I need to lie down. I cannot move or do anything.  I sit and watch as my world crumbles before my very eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment