Thursday, July 21, 2011

Old Journal Entry from 2004; Hope Lost

I found myself going through some old journals of mine for material for my book.  I came across this one and found it so sad but so telling of that time in my life.  Here it is, for what it's worth.


Journal Entry 12/11/04

It's been a very rough couple of weeks.  I tapered off the Zoloft and started Cymbalta in hopes it would work on my pain.  But, either I'm not responding to Cymbalta or it hasn't kicked in yet.  Last week was so horribly miserable.  I didn't feel suicidal but I felt so dead inside.  I just wanted relief.  So, now I am taking the Cymbalta along with 100 mg of Zoloft (half of my previous dose).  Almost immediately after my doctor put me back on the Zoloft, I felt a lot better.  I am really struggling with my role as a parent right now.  I haven't been getting a lot of good sleep and I'm fighting the cold Nicholas has.  But, I have no desire to really engage and play with my little guy.  This makes me feel horribly sad and guilty.  I feel so burned out.  But, why?  Todd's been home all week on vacation.  This has helped me tremendously.  Since my med. change has been so tough and I've been feeling so tired, etc. it's been great to get some relief from full time parenting. 

Nicholas is the cutest, smartest, funniest, most imaginative little boy.  I absolutely adore him!  But, with winter here and the days long and dark and Todd gone 12 hours a day, I feel lonely, anxious and restless.  I'm having great difficulty being motivated and staying in the present.  Then when I do get a break on Tuesdays and Thursdays when he's at his little school, I feel so incredibly relieved.  When I get sitters so I can go to therapy, get my massage or whatever, Nicholas usually loves it.  But, I feel guilty!  I feel like a bad mom or inadequate when I need a break from playing trains or his imaginative animal games.  I feel like I'm failing him somehow.  I still feel so clueless sometimes in my parenting.  I can see clearly who and what I do not want to be.

I don't want to:   -have the TV on all day
                              - leave him alone all day or ignore him
                              - yell, spank or shame him

                             - ignore him so I can do my own stuff

                             - squash his imagination/creativity and self esteem



I do want:  - to read to him

                     -encourage him to play independently

                      - give him uninterrupted time alone with me each day

                      - be silly with him

                      - set clear limits with him



I find this last one so difficult because sometimes I don't even know what is okay and what isn't.  What is good/normal parenting vs. what is poor parenting.  I'm very unsure and confused a lot.  When he ever said, "I need a new Mommy because you are always sick and have too many boo-boos", he really struck a chord in me.  I often feel very broken and incomplete because of my Fibromyalgia.  I'm so tired and sick, especially in this weather.  Just being sick causes me to feel inadequate as a mother.  Not to mention, as a wife.  Todd is pulling 90% and I'm only doing 10% lately.  More guilt.  Add to all of this my desire for another baby and the conflicting emotions that brings up.  Ugh.  I'm thinking of seeing a new naturopath.  The person I was seeing was so nice but just not a clear communicator and I really feel like I need a take charge, motivated person to help me to hope again. 

Is there a lost and found box for hope? 

No comments:

Post a Comment